Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rafa - We can get better

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Rafa - We can get better Empty Rafa - We can get better Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:41 pm

dan94adibi

dan94adibi

Rafa Benitez believes his side can get even better despite the fact that they beat 10-man Aston Villa 5-0 at Anfield on Sunday.

The win moved the Reds up to second and now just a point behind rivals Manchester United after the champions' 2-0 defeat at Fulham on Saturday.

The scoreline meant that Benitez's side have now scored 13 goals in their last three games in all competitions and if their most recent demolition is anything to go by the players are beginning to believe that it could be their year after all.

A hat-trick from Steven Gerrard and goals from Dirk Kuyt and Albert Riera was enough to see off Villa but their manager admitted that their first-half performance, which they led 3-0, could have been better.

"I think in the first half we were giving the ball away when we could play better counter attack," Benitez told Sky Sports 1.

"The team was doing well but I thought they could do better.

"As soon as we scored the third goal they had to come forward and we had more space and with ten players it is always important to score more goals."

The former Valencia boss confirms that his side are high on confidence at the moment but insists that they need to maintain their form if they are to secure some silverware come the end of the season.

Confidence

The Spaniard also pointed out that his side had been in similar form at the start of the season but the reason for their current goal spree could be down to some teams feeling the strains from a long hard season.

"We have confidence but there is still a lot of games to play so we have to keep the feet on the ground and still working hard," he added.

"I think we were playing well at the beginning of the season I think some of the teams are physically a little bit tired so maybe you can see a little bit more space and players with more freedom."

The 5-0 goal mauling also meant that Liverpool moved ahead of United's goal difference tally and Benitez admits that the title could come down to fine margins.

"Yeah I said before we were winning against ten players so it was important to score goals," he explained.

"You never know what will happen at the end but the goal difference is always important if you can score more goals than the other teams."

A minute's silence was held at the start of the game for Liverpool secretary Bryce Morrison who sadly passed away on Saturday at the age of 56 and Benitez paid his respects to the man.

"It was a sad day because it was a surprise for everyone, Bryce was someone who was always here so I am really disappointed and very sad," he said.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum