Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Keane - Rafa and I not suited

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Keane - Rafa and I not suited Empty Keane - Rafa and I not suited Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:11 am

dan94adibi

dan94adibi

Robbie Keane believes he would have enjoyed a successful career at Liverpool had a different manager been in charge.

Rafa Benitez brought Keane to Anfield last summer but the Republic of Ireland international was given few opportunities to impress.

He was not a regular starter and was surprisingly left on the substitutes' bench at times when he appeared to be a good option for the Reds.

Keane, who secured a swift move back to Tottenham in the winter transfer window, insists he made the right decision to join Liverpool.

But he admits he was perhaps not suited to working with Benitez, and has hinted that he would have liked to be treated with more respect.

"Of course I wish it had gone differently, but I have no regrets," Keane told Icon magazine.

"I do believe with a different manager it would have worked for me, but different managers have different methods and some have different ideas than those you are used to or believe in.

"People have their own opinions of Benitez. I have nothing against him and will leave people to make their own minds up about him.

"When you've been around for a while as a player, all you want is a bit of respect and to be treated the way you feel you deserve to be."

Strachan praise

Keane claims the best manager he has ever played under is Gordon Strachan, who signed him for Coventry in 1999.

Keane was still a teenager when he joined the Sky Blues and he believes Strachan helped him fulfil his potential.

"My time at Coventry was very important," Keane explained.

"I got to work with Gordon Strachan, the best manager I have ever played for.

"He is a fantastic man-manager who has always known how to get the best out of a player."

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum