Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Chelsea players want Hiddink stay

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Chelsea players want Hiddink stay Empty Chelsea players want Hiddink stay Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:10 pm

dan94adibi

dan94adibi

High profile Chelsea players have announced their desire to see interim boss Gus Hiddink remain at the club at the end of the season.

The Dutchman has turned around Chelsea's fortunes since his arrival at the club on a short term basis last month, following the sacking of Luiz Felipe Scolari.

His arrival has seen the Blues reach the FA Cup semi-finals plus the Champions League quarter-finals in a seven match unbeaten run which has also reignited their Premier League hopes.

Hiddink however, continues to insist that he will leave his interim post at Stamford Bridge as planned to focus on his other role as Russia national team coach.

He is currently combining both roles but remains committed to Russia, despite pressure from star players to remain at the bridge.

"I would love for him to say he is staying for three years," said midfielder Michael Ballack.

"Everybody in the club and around the club can feel he is a great manager and even in a short time he has had a big influence on the team," he added.

Ballack's views were echoed by goalkeeper Petr Cech, who is one of many first team regulars to have rediscovered their form under Hiddink's guidance.

"He is a very good coach and we want him to stay. But it is a difficult political situation and we will have to wait and see what happens," said Cech.

Influence
The Russian Football Union will have a major influence on the prospect of Hiddink extending his stay at Chelsea, having given him permission to take the role in the first place.

Russian Football Union president, Vitaly Mutko, admitted things could change in the summer but says it would be better for Hiddink to remain in charge of a national side.

"At the moment, we have an agreement with Gus Hiddink that he will combine the two posts only until the summer," said Mutko.

"Of course, everything can change, but we should take into account that, for Hiddink, it is better to work with a national side. He is not only a coach but also an organiser, a politician - not a club man," he added.

Meanwhile, inform Chelsea striker Didier Drogba has insisted he wants to remain at Stamford Bridge following more speculation about his future at the club.

The Ivorian has rediscovered his form under Hiddink, hitting four goals in his last five games, having been out of favour under Scolari beforehand.

"I've said before I'm staying. It's not because I had my knee problems and what happened with the manager, I just really to make it clear again that I'm here, Drogba told Chelsea TV.

"Everything I have had since I've been here I can't forget, but the best is yet to come.

"I really want to do something that people will remember here with my mates. We did it before but we want to do it again and so we are working on it a lot," he added.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum