Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hiddink makes title vow

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Hiddink makes title vow Empty Hiddink makes title vow Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:48 am

dan94adibi

dan94adibi

Chelsea manager Guus Hiddink has vowed to push Manchester United to the "bitter end" in the Premier League title race and also wants to guide the club to UEFA Champions League glory.

The Dutchman, who is in charge at Chelsea until the end of the season, has enjoyed a successful start to his tenure by guiding the club to four league wins on the spin to put them within four points of Manchester United.

United's rivals have been encouraged by Liverpool's win at Old Trafford last weekend, although Sir Alex Ferguson's men remain in the driving seat with a game in hand.

Hiddink admits it will be hard to catch United, but is determined to take the title race to the wire.

"That is the task we are facing but, objectively speaking, it will be extremely difficult to achieve," Hiddink told Russian newspaper Sovetski Sport.

"Don't forget that Manchester have a game in hand and, moreover, they have a lot of experience of winning the league. All I can promise is that Chelsea will fight to the bitter end.

"You perfectly know my way - work, work and more work. That has been the principle since my first day in London. So far, so good.

"We started in fourth place in the Premier League, now we are second."

Ambition
Hiddink feels his side will also look to go one better than last season when they lost the Champions League final on penalties.

"We are in the best eight clubs in Europe and each of them harbours ambitious plans. Chelsea are no exception," added Hiddink.

Hiddink, who is also Russia coach, wants to see Roman Pavlyuchenko returning to goalscoring form for Tottenham, although Chelsea make the short trip to White Hart Lane on Saturday when they will be looking for points to maintain their title challenge.

Pavlyuchenko was dropped to the reserves this week and Hiddink added: "I know that he didn't play against Aston Villa but I hope that he will play in the next game."

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum