Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rafa reveals Reds plan

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Rafa reveals Reds plan Empty Rafa reveals Reds plan Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:31 am

dan94adibi

dan94adibi

Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez has set his sights on improving every aspect of the Anfield club after signing a new long-term contract.

The Spaniard finally put an end to speculation over his future on Wednesday evening when he put pen-to-paper on a new five-year deal.

With his own future resolved, Benitez is eager to agree new contracts for key players such as Daniel Agger and Dirk Kuyt and tie his backroom staff to fresh terms.

He told the Liverpool Echo: "It was a very easy decision for me to take because I only ever wanted to stay at this football club.

"My priority now is to do the deals for my staff and for the players who will be important for this club in the future.

"We want to improve in all departments - the squad, the mentality - everything that we possibly can.

"We want to be successful and to bring trophies to this club for the fans."

Worried

With Benitez rejecting the initial drafts of his new contract from the club's hierarchy, speculation increased that he could be set to turn his back on Merseyside giants.

But while the former Valencia boss admits the negotiations were tense at times, he never envisaged leaving Anfield.

He said: "Because of the uncertainty it was a difficult time. The conversations went on for a long time and because of that I was a bit worried.

"But I never thought of leaving and in the end it has all been sorted out thanks to the hard work of everyone involved.

"From the very beginning everyone knew that I wanted to stay here.

"But it took a bit longer for everything to be concluded because there were certain issues that we needed to be clarified."

Perfect week

Signing the new long-term deal has set the seal on a memorable spell for Liverpool, with Benitez's commitment coming hot on the heels of their UEFA Champions League thrashing of Real Madrid and last Saturday's stunning 4-1 win at Manchester United.

But the Spaniard, who moved to Merseyside in June 2004, is already looking to the future and is eager to add more silverware to the Anfield trophy cabinet.

He said: "For me and for my family it has been a fantastic week. My idea is always to win trophies, not just games.

"But to beat Real Madrid and Manchester United and then sign the contract makes this a perfect week. But now we must look ahead, not back."

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum