You are not connected. Please login or register

Aurelio keen for Reds stay

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Aurelio keen for Reds stay on Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:39 am

Fabio Aurelio is keen to follow Rafael Benitez's lead and extend his stay with Liverpool.

The Brazilian left-back has his sights set on a new contract at Anfield following Benitez's decision to pen to a five-year extension at the club.

And Aurelio, who scored a memorable free-kick in last Saturday's emphatic 4-1 win over Manchester United, believes it is just a matter of time before the Spaniard clinches Premier League glory with the Reds.

"He's shown he's getting better [in England] every season and this is a good moment to give him the opportunity to even get bigger," He told The Sunday Times.

"He lives for football and that's what makes the difference between him and other coaches."

Contract

Aurelio knows Liverpool's manager better than most, having spent three seasons with him at Valencia before joining him at Anfield in 2006.

Like Dirk Kuyt, Alvaro Arbeloa and Daniel Agger, Aurelio is a free agent next summer and with his own future settled, Benitez wants to tie up new deals for all four as quickly as possible.

"If the club and the boss are happy with my work, for sure I'll be happy to continue, so it should not be complicated," Aurelio said of potentially signing a new deal.

"I had one talk with the boss at the beginning of the season but he was telling us he would like us to wait until he decided his situation before talking to the players who were finishing contracts.

"Now he's staying, it should be easier. But, honestly, I haven't been thinking about it. I'm very happy in the moment I am in now."

Brazil

Meanwhile, Aurelio is dreaming of claiming the left-back spot in the Brazilian national team and has targeted this summer to make his comeback to the five-time World Cup winners.

Aurelio played 42 times for his country at youth and Olympic levels but suffered his serious knee injury days after a first call-up to the full Brazil squad.

He was close to being selected again in 2006-07 but damaged his Achilles, but now he is receiving hints that he is again being considered for the Selecao.

"They say left-back is not a position which is closed and there's a Confederations Cup at the end of the season so it would be a good time to get involved," he added.

"It's a big frustration I got injured before and I'd like to have at least one chance. I think I could take my opportunity."

View user profile

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum