Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hughton - We are in dogfight

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Hughton - We are in dogfight Empty Hughton - We are in dogfight Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:48 pm

dan94adibi

dan94adibi

Caretaker boss Chris Hughton admitted Newcastle are in a relegation dogfight after the Magpies slipped into the Premier League drop-zone and then lost 3-1 to Arsenal.

Wins for Portsmouth and Stoke earlier in the day saw the Magpies drop to third from bottom, two points adrift of safety.

But they could not capitalise on home advantage as - after a goalless first-half - goals from Nicklas Bendtner, Abou Diaby and Samir Nasri condemned them to defeat, despite a goal by Obafemi Martins, who also had a penalty saved in the first period.

Hughton knows the Magpies now face a tough fight to stop themselves dropping out of the top flight for the first time since returning in 1993.

Results

He said: "I accept it is going to be a dogfight now through to the end of the season.

"We are well aware of the position. We have eight games left, we need to get enough results to stay in this division and we need to get results quickly."

Hughton denied that owner Mike Ashley had spoken to the players in the dressing room after the game.

He also confirmed he does not expect another manager to be drafted in as the club awaits Joe Kinnear's return from heart surgery next month.

He said: "I have had no indication that anything will change.

"Joe will be back at the time when he will be back, but apart from that, I am not aware of anything else."

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]